This site has limited support for your browser. We recommend switching to Edge, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.

Free Makeup Bag on 1st Order. Free Shipping $35+ Free Returns

When You Eat Traditional Lipstick, Here's What Will Happen to Your Body

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you ate lipstick? While it may seem like an odd thing to consider, some people may be curious about what would happen to their bodies after ingesting lipstick. After all, did you know lipstick wearers ingest 4-10 pounds of lipstick over their lifetime? It's inevitable when you eat and drink while wearing lipstick. That's why you have to reapply after a meal. Eating lipstick can be dangerous and can cause serious health issues, so it's important to understand the risks involved. In this blog post, we'll discuss the potential effects of eating lipstick, from digestive issues to long-term health risks. Read on to learn more about what could happen if you eat lipstick.

You'll get sick

A report conducted in 2007, "A Poison Kiss: The Problem of Lead in Lipstick" has alarming results, as the effects of ingesting toxins and heavy metals can be serious. These are lipsticks manufactured right here in the US of A, (USA). 61% of brands tested positive for lead from drugstore brands to high end designer brands. 0.03 to 0.65 parts per million (ppm) to be exact with the measurement of lead found. We're not scientists, but you don't have to tell me that, "Oh, but that's only a little bit of lead." There should be none. Any level of lead exposure is dangerous. None of these brands had included lead in their ingredient labels making this alarming indeed. Long-term exposure to these toxins and heavy metals can also lead to developmental delays and even cancer.
It's important to keep in mind that there are non-toxic brands of lipstick that are made with natural ingredients and do not contain these toxins and heavy metals. However, it's still important to avoid eating lipstick at all costs.
If you or someone you know has accidentally ingested lipstick, it's important to seek medical attention right away. The longer the toxins remain in the body, the higher the risk of long-term health issues. In order to protect yourself and your loved ones, make sure your lipstick is either certified as safe by an independent organization such as the Environmental Working Group or doesn't list any chemicals on the label. Non-toxic lipstick is typically more expensive than regular lipstick but if you have children or pets in your home who might eat your makeup on accident, it may be worth the investment. And while we're on the subject of shopping, let's talk about how to tell if your beauty products are actually what they say they are. When reading a product label, check for words that you can read and pronounce. Usually natural ingredients will include the scientific name and then regular every day name after it in parenthesis.

Exposure to lead


When you ingest lipstick, (and you will, it's 100% guaranteed you will every time you eat and drink with lipstick on) you're potentially exposing yourself to a large dose of lead. Lead is a heavy metal that can have a range of serious health effects, particularly in children and pregnant women.
Lead is an odorless and tasteless metal, so it can go unnoticed if it's ingested. It accumulates in the body over time, meaning that if you consume lipstick with lead, it can add up to significant levels of exposure.
Lead has been linked to several adverse health effects. In children, lead exposure can lead to lower IQ, behavioral problems, and reduced performance in school. Pregnant women are also vulnerable to lead exposure, as it easily passes from the mother to the fetus and can interfere with normal development. Lead has also been linked to miscarriage, decreased fertility in both men and women, hormonal changes, and delays in puberty.
It's important to be aware of the potential health risks associated with ingesting lipstick containing lead

Avoiding heavy metals in lipstick

When it comes to cosmetics, it is all too easy for companies to get away with using ingredients that are full of heavy metals and other toxins. Unfortunately, our government and the FDA have failed to provide sufficient oversight when it comes to these products. The lack of transparency in the cosmetics industry means that people often don't know exactly what they are putting into their bodies, even when they think they do. That's why it was important for us to list out every ingredient we use and to tell you what it is and why we're using it.
This is why it is so important to be aware of the ingredients in your lipstick or other makeup products. Many commercial lipsticks contain dangerous heavy metals, including lead and cadmium, as well as potentially toxic chemicals like phthalates and parabens. These chemicals can be easily absorbed through the skin, which can lead to a host of health issues ranging from allergies to hormone disruption and even cancer.
The good news is that there are alternatives available. By choosing more thoughtful and clean formulations, you can avoid these potentially dangerous chemicals and heavy metals. Companies that specialize in clean beauty and skincare are becoming more popular, making it easier than ever to find safe and effective products. There is rumbles that it's all just greenwashing to jump in on a trend, but you can't deny the ingredients when you look at labels. 


At the end of the day, it's up to us to take responsibility for our health and make conscious choices about the products we use. If you want to ensure that your lipstick is free of dangerous chemicals and heavy metals, make sure to read the label before you buy. Your body will thank you for it!


Leave a comment